Thursday, October 05, 2017

A Light Fitting From Suspended Fondue Forks

A Light Fitting From Suspended Fondue Forks

I experimented with all sort of options – Binding  them into shapes, making some tensile models, etc.  In the end I decided to hang them straight down.   I wanted to hide their fork-iness, so I bound each one in neutral cotton threads, and then mounted the sharp ends between wooden beads. I mounted them all onto 2 embroidery hoops.  I love the rhythm of the similar long wooden handled forks, but the difference of each handle – in design or in wear-and-tear.
Everything in this light fitting was found or sourced second hand.  I find that the wooden handles are reminiscent of lace bobbins.The cotton thread to adds to this feel.  I used German Silver gilding paste to decorate some of the wood.
The wood shows up with a warm glow at night when the light is switched on.  By day it makes an interesting study of wooden textures and shades.  
This piece is on display at The 2017 Intellectual Property Exhibition, hosted at The Plant, in The Station Drive Precinct, Durban.  

No comments: